I made this cake for a work potluck, recently. It’s a super easy recipe (considering it was baked at nearly 1am) with an extremely (if I do say so, myself!) yummy result!
I found this on Allrecipes.com, which seriously makes you wonder: do people even bother with cookbooks anymore? What I love about Allrecipes are the ‘reviews/modifications’ by other users…very helpful!
For this recipe, since I LOVE orange chocolate, I decided to go with what one person said on the site about doubling the orange zest (from 1 tbsp to 2) and found it really did up the orange flavour. I also made some other modifications, which are indicated (in blue) below.
Overall, it’s a fantastic and easy recipe! The cake turns our very moist and sweet. It keeps very well too (that is, if there’s any left after it comes out of the oven!)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 1/4 cup milk + 1/4 cup OJ)
- 3 cups grated zucchini (I had 2 cups; you can also wring out some of the excess water)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (I used 2 tbsps)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (I didn’t have walnuts)
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour Bundt pan (I used 2 different sized pans).
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla and milk to the butter mixture. Stir in dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Fold in zucchini, orange zest and nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured Bundt cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes (I baked for 50 minutes exactly), or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool, then drizzle with glaze.
- To make the glaze: In a small bowl mix together sugar, orange juice and vanilla. Invert cake onto serving dish, then pour glaze over.